The Pulteney Free Library was founded in 1881 using leftover assets of the Pulteney Temperance Union. In 1976, a fire destroyed the old school house that then housed the Library. The Library was in a trailer until 1978 when it moved into the new building which is its present home.
Funding for the Library is obtained through a public vote, from grants, and donations and memorials made by the public.
A seven member Board of Trustees oversees the operation, planning, and policy of the Library. The Library is staffed by a Director, Assistant, and a dedicated crew of volunteers.
The Pulteney Free Library is Handicap accessible.